About Us


The Open Road Project exists to spread kindness and meet the needs of strangers. We travel in a 1979 GMC Vanguard named Lily. These are our stories.

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Our Work Projects

I thought you guys would like to know a little bit more about what I was actually doing in Bolivia so this post is dedicated to showing you some of the things that we actually got done. This is moreso for interest sake rather than humour factor. We actually got a lot done. The first few days were a little frustrating as we were working on Bolivian time. What does this mean? Well, for one, expect everything at least a day late. The wood for the laundry room came 2 days late so we ended up cutting a bunch of grass with this mini electric mower. Picture a months worth of grass during the rainy times. Anyway, once the materials got there, we had a lot of fun drilling into the Brazil nut wood. Rock solid stuff. Many drill bits were lost during the battle. Also, another thing I realized is that people tell you what you want to hear. Not what is realistic. Which I have found is really annoying. Telling me what I want to hear and then not coming through is just doesn't make sense because I would have been fine if you just told me that you would be late. Well that's how it works in Bolivia. Here are some pics.

Carpenters Tom and Jerry with the Architect Manuel, infamous for their 3 hour lunch breaks and broken promises.
Me painting at the girls home. Wow that looks great!
Before we arrived.
What we got done during one week. While it may not look like much to the naked eye, we worked really hard and I'm even surprised we got this done with the number of setbacks and frustrations. Well, shes solid and hopefully will have a roof and paint by the time the second half of our team comes back this Monday.

It was really great giving back to these homes. The kids who live at these places are actually the best. My favourite part of the trip was hanging out with them and just feeling the love. I miss it already.

No comments:

Post a Comment