About Us


The Open Road Project exists to spread kindness and meet the needs of strangers. We travel in a 1979 GMC Vanguard named Lily. These are our stories.

Friday, March 4, 2011

Do's and Dont's of Bolivia

Here are a few of the more exciting pictures from my trip. I will also share a short story with each one.
Do: Let the little ones carry you around in return for carrying them around all week.
Do: Become good friends with the bus driver, who not only inspired me to become a world class RV driver, but also stopped at a random sketchy car markets so that I could get awesome accessories for our RV.
Don't: Don't walk through the market with your purse at your side. An old woman will slice it open and root through it before you can even realize what has happened.
Do: Dance with the Bolivians on a Friday night. They know what's good. However, watch out for when they surround you in the middle of the circle, you will be required to show off your dance moves. I didn't know any, and I'm pretty sure I was the focus of their laughter. Nevertheless, good times.
Do: Eat a giant pizza. While this may not be quite as delicious as Twice the Deal or Pico's Pizza, sharing a giant pizza with great friends=great times.
Do or Don't: Get something pierced in Bolivia. This one is really up to you, I mean I think most people would opt for Don't in this situation, but I like to live life on the edge. Who knows how many stories that needle could tell!
Don't: Don't get caught napping while you are supposed to be painting. I mean, this is just common sense. I tried to hide behind the couches but still got caught. My punishment: had to go play tag for 20 minutes, and let me tell you, that is most likely why I needed to take this nap in the first place.
Don't: Don't get too close to the black widows on the bus. I think they are poisonous or something?
Do: Eat the chips that they put out at the gas station to advertise for the Crispy Chips that is attached to the station. They are delicious, fresh-ish and best of all: free.
Do: Let your friends give you a new hair-do. Everyone will laugh at how cool you look, and some may even call you Princess Leia. Isn't it everyone's dream to be a princess?


This will conclude my posts about Bolivia. If you want to hear more, or see some more pictures, feel free to contact me in person. Sadly, I did not get to experience the Cholitas. They are in a different city. However, Tyson did say that if there was a league in Cochabamba, he would take groups there in a heart beat. I guess I will just have to go back someday. After all, it still remains on the bucket list. This trip was a huge blessing. Made some lifelong friends and memories. Best of all, I learned a ton about myself, the way the world works and possibly some things I want for my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment