About Us


The Open Road Project exists to spread kindness and meet the needs of strangers. We travel in a 1979 GMC Vanguard named Lily. These are our stories.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Bob and Steve


Bob was a simple man, he didn't talk much. When he did, he was a nice dude- giving us tips about his local neck of the woods.
Bob was our friend on HWY 17 (the Trans Can) between the town of Marathon and Thunder Bay. Meet Bob:
Get those thumbs up there Bob.

Bob, ill have you know, was THE original “Bob the Builder”. It may have been self-proclaimed. But hey, that still counts for something.
Now, Steven has a slightly more interesting connection to our crew. Yesterday, I thought I was going to be writing a post about my wallet falling in love with Thunder Bay and insisting on staying. This is of course, because on Friday night between 12:10 and 12:15 AM, my wallet (to no fault of my own) magically leaped from my pocket and was lost in the city. Hours of searching to no avail had us convinced that it officially the that time I was going to have to start building a new wallet. Just as I was finishing a morning of Canada Services and DMV visits, trips to the bank and phone calls with the cops. I got a phone call of my own.
“Hello, is this James Grantis?”
Now I was fairly excited because this mans voiced sounded nothing like that of my mom. My adulation was confirmed, as I was happy to hear it was just one honest dude on the other end of the line.
I met Steven at the Salvation Army just down the road. Greeted with a smile, I can understand his joy as a splash off extension of my own. We chatted and I thanked him. I made sure to get as much of a life story as I could, and let me tell you, it is a fascinating one. He’s got my number, and I’ve got his. Maybe we’ll be pen pals.
Meet Steven, signing our guest book:
Cheers, 

The Boys

1 comment:

  1. Saw your sticker on the tower at the Forks in Winnipeg as I was killing time before the train takes me from Winnipeg to Toronto. I thought I'd checkin and say hi.
    Sounds like you guys are on a great adventure!

    ReplyDelete